Monday, January 18, 2010

Marathon and weaning


This weekend we went to the Houston marathon to see our friend, Cathi run in it. I told her I wouldn't post any photos of her, do you blame her? Anyways, we had a fun time driving around different spots to see her and it was a cool way to see the city (not to mention, gorgeous outside!). I cried when we were at the finish line watching the racers come in- just to know what mental strength the runners had and to imagine what they were feeling. I told Jon I respected these people- not just for today- but for the countless months before when they got off their butts and trained day after day.

I officially weaned Brennan completely this past week and woke up the next morning feeling so RELIEVED. I could wear whatever darn bra I wanted to (those nursing bras are kind of hideous), I could drink as much caffeine as I wanted or eat spicy foods and not have to worry about it- I was excited! I don't know if there are hormonal changes after you quit nursing or what- but I was super cranky ALL weekend. Like, not myself, PMS cranky x 100. It was like I seriously woke up on the wrong side of the bed and could not shake myself out of it. WEIRD. Anyone else had that after weaning? Poor poor Jon this weekend.

We move (again), in less than a month. And two weeks after that, Jon's parents and the Zuberts are visiting (holy crap, so excited) and then we have Brennan's first birthday party! It's a lot, but I'm pumped!

7 comments:

Erin Morgan said...

yes, there are SUPER hormone changes are your body stops making so much milk! And don't forget that your body doesn't need so many calories either... I gained 4lbs the week I stopped nursing because I was so used to eating a lot. :)

Jennifer said...

Please let me know if you need help watching Brennan so you can pack, unpack, etc.....

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Trisha said...

Yay for real bras!! So glad you are doing well!

Laine said...

I always had a little bit of sadness when I stopped breastfeeding but I quickly started to feel like a normal person again and all that sadness disappeared into relief! :) Each time I breast fed and weaned effected me differently. Like when I had horrible hot flashes the entire 10 months I nursed Seth but not with the other two. It was miserable. One thing that has been the same is that I cant lose all of my baby weight until after I wean. I'd keep on about 5lbs no matter how much I exercised or dieted!
Hope the move goes smoothly, the house you're renting is so cute!

C said...

My friends who have weaned their kids have mentioned feeling hormonal as well -- it makes total sense really, I guess. Those hormones going away would do a number on your system:)
Real bras...I don't think I even remember what they're like:) I've worn a real bra 2 times since B was born -- and honestly I now find them so uncomfortable! I'm going to have to get used to underwires all over again when I wean Brooklyn:)

Beforethehunt said...

jon a should run a marathon-he's got the runners bod!
-john o